Oklahoma Youth Tour offers real-world experience that could be helpful in job and college interviews, as well as valuable leadership and public speaking opportunities.
It is a two-part competition open to high school juniors living and attending school in IEC’s service area.
Students participate by writing a speech and creating a short video about rural electric cooperatives. Then, four finalists give their presentation to judges.
Two winners are selected for an expenses-paid tour of Washington D.C. on June 14-20, 2024, with winners from other Oklahoma co-ops. The other two finalists are awarded a trip to Leadership Youth Camp in Steamboat Springs, Colo. on July 12-18, 2024.
For more information email Brandi Ball at firstname.lastname@example.org
IEC Contest Guidelines
To apply you:
Must be a high school junior in the IEC service area
Type an original speech (500-1,000 words)
Create a 1-2 minute video
Upload the materials and complete the entry form on our website by February 1, 2024 at 12 p.m.
2023 YOUTH TOUR ESSAY/SPEECH
TOPIC: “Nuclear power has long been a source of generation for many electric cooperatives. Why is nuclear power important to the future? How or why should cooperatives work toward exploring the possibility of expanding or building new nuclear plants?”
- Write an original speech of 500-1,000 words on the topic provided.
- Speech must be typed and double-spaced on 8 1/2" X 11" paper.
- Your name SHOULD NOT appear on the speech you upload. Judges determine the finalists based on blind copies to avoid any show of preferential treatment.
- The finalists chosen will present their speech at a lunch reception in February.
2024 "IEC POWERS LIVES" VIDEO
Video: Show three things in your day that are made possible by the electric IEC provides. Must mention IEC in the video at least once or have it mentioned in the on-screen caption. Videos must be 1-2 minutes.
- Research and familiarize yourself with the distinctive qualities of cooperatives.
- Record a video (at least 1 minute, no longer than 2 minutes) about the “IEC Powers Lives"
- Have fun with this component and show off your creativity!
- The videos from finalists will be shown at the reception in February. It will be figured into the overall presentation category of scoring by judges.
- Record your video horizontally (if using phone or tablet). Vertical submissions will not be accepted.
The websites below may be helpful as you prepare your entry:
History of American Cooperatives